This blog will not be updated any longer. The blog has been migrated to a new web http://mirlab.wordpress.com.
My name is Jaerock Kwon. I am originally from Korea. After extensive industrial experiences as a software engineer in a consumer electronics company, a mobile phone manufacturer, and a wireless internet service technology company, I started my academic career at Kettering University where I am working as an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. You may follow me on @jaerock_ece or find me at facebook/jaerock.ece.
Kettering University (formerly General Motors Institute of Technology and GMI Engineering and Management Institute) is a nationally-ranked STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and Business university in Flint, Michigan and a national leader in combining a rigorous academic environment with rich opportunities for experiential learning and cooperative education. (Wikipedia)
My Academic Genealogy
- Dec 15, 2012: Invited talk: Enhanced Image Processing Pipeline and Parallel Generation of Multiscale Tiles for Web-Based 3D Rendering of Whole Mouse Brain Vascular Networks, 2012 KOCSEA Technical Symposium.
- Nov 10, 2012: Submitted a paper to International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging 2013.
- Oct 15, 2012: Invited talk: Security Issues in Wireless Sensor Networks, Jeju National University.
- Oct 10, 2012: Invited talk: Wireless Sensor Network Development and Applications for LED system lighting, Workshop for LED Lighting Technologies and Education, Center for Advanced Electric Applications at Wonkang University.
- Jan 2012: Appears in News and Information about Kettering at Kettering University’s website. Mapping blood vessels.
- December 2011: An article, Specimen Preparation, Imaging, and Analysis Protocols for Knife-edge Scanning Microscopy, appears on the front page of JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments).
- November 2011: News article on News Medical, Knife-edge scanning microscopy rapidly maps new blood vessels in organs.
- September 2011: “Fast macro-scale transmission imaging of microvascular networks using KESM” is published on Biomedical Optics Express Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 10, pp. 2888-2896.
- September 2011: “Knife-edge scanning microscopy for large-scale, high-resolution volume imaging of the brain” is on Journal of Visualized Experiments.
- August 2011: “Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy for Connectomics Research” is published on IJCNN 2011 – International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, San Jose, California.
- August 2011: Invited for the Advanced Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Program held by Human Resources Development Institute of Korea University of Technology & Education.
- July 2011: Android application programming for Computer Engineering Summer Day Camp.
- July 2011: Smartphone programming for Engineering & Science Career Exploration Camp.
- March 2011:: “Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy for Connectomics Research” is accepted for IJCNN 2011 – International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, San Jose, California, 2011
- March 2011:: “Efficient WiFi-based Indoor Localization using Particle Swarm Optimization” is accepted for International Conference on Swarm Intelligence, Chongqing, China, 2011.
- January 2011:: “AUTOMATED CROPPING AND ARTIFACT REMOVAL FOR KNIFE-EDGE SCANNING MICROSCOPY” is accepted for the eighth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2011).
- January 2011:: “Fast Cell Detection in High-Throughput Imagery Using GPU-Accelerated Machine Learning” are accepted for the eighth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2011).
- November 2010:: I am honored to be a recipient of Oswald International Faculty Fellowship.
- July 2010:: Computer Engineering Special Topics: App Development for Mobile Devices (CE-491) starts.
- January 2010:: A new website will be used for the courses from Spring 2010.
- November 2009:: Well, I found out that six patents have been registered and three patents have been disclosed to Korean Intellectual Property Office since I left Korea to pursue my Ph.D.
- November 2009 :: My colleagues and I submitted two papers to 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro.
- Automated Cropping and Enhanced Noise Removal for Knife-Edge Scanning Microscopy
- Large-volume Imaging and Segmentation of Cell Soma in the Rat Somatosensory Cortex
- November 2009 :: I just found out that one of my ideas was registered as US Patent No: 7,100,117 (Data information display method of data broadcasting receiver and apparatus thereof) in 2006. This method was invented with one of my colleagues when I worked for LG Electronics as a research engineer in Digital TV Research Center.
- October 2009 :: My colleagues and I presented a poster, Complete submicrometer scans of mouse brain microstructure: Neurons and vasculatures at the SfN (Society for Neuroscience) 2009 annual conference.
- June 2009 :: A paper has been published to Neural Network Journal. The title is “Facilitating Neural Dynamics for Delay Compensation: A Road to Predictive Neural Dynamics?“
- May 2009 :: A paper has been accepted to the 2009 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2009). The title is “Evolution of Recollection and Prediction in Neural Networks.”
- May 2009 :: I defend my dissertation successfully. The dissertation title is “Acquisition and Mining of the Whole Mouse Brain Microstructure.”